TWO: Questionnaire Forms 1982
GENERAL INQUIRY -TO COMMUNITY LEADERS, AMARILLO TEXAS, REGARDING MEDIA SURVEY
Please refer to the sample interview form accompanying this inquiry when responding. This form can be returned in the enclosed envelope.
This form inquires about your organization's interest in and ability to assist in a dissertation project conducted by Erie Michaels at the Department of Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas, Austin.
1. HAS YOUR ORGANIZATION BEEN INVOLVED IN ANY CONSIDERATION OF TELEVISION PROGRAMM1NG AND ITS POSSIBLE EFFECTS? IF YES, PLEASE SPECIFY:
2. WOULD YOUR ORGANIZATION BE INTERESTED IN COOPERATING IN THE PRESENT SURVEY? HOW MANY QUESTIONNAIRES (UP TO THIRTY) COULD YOU DISTRIBUTE?
3. DO ANY OF THE QUESTIONS ON THE QUESTIONNA M SEEM AMBIGUOUS? DIFFICULT TO ANSWER? TOO PERSONAL, ETC.? (YOU MAY MARK THE QUESTIONAIRE AND RETURN IT IF YOU CHOOSE )
4. ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS YOU THINK MAY BE IMPORTANT TO YOU OR YOUR CONSTITUENTS WHICH ARE NOT ASKED?
5. WOULD YOUR ORGANIZATION HAVE ANY INDEPENDENT USE FOR THIS QUESTIONNAIRE?
6. WOULD YOUR ORGANIZATION BE INTERESTED IN A STUDY/FOCUS GROUP CONDUCTED BY THE RESEARCHER?
7. WHAT IS THE BEST TIME DURING THE MONTH OF JULY FOR THIS QUESTIONNAIRE TO BE DISTRIBUTED?
8. WHAT IS THE BEST TIME FOLLOWING DISTRIBUTION FOR PERSONAL INTERVIEWS OR FOR CONDUCTING STUDY/FOCUS GROUPS?
9. YOUR NAME ORGANIZATION
Thank you for responding to this inquiry. If you have indicated interest, 1 will be in touch within a few days of receiving your letter.
University of Texas
Austin, TX 78712
TELEVISION SURVEY OF AMARILLO-
University of Texas at Austin.
CMA 6118, Austin, Texas, 78712 Researcher, Erie Michaels
INSTRUCTIONS: Please answer all questions you feel are appropriate. If you choose not to answer any question, and would like to explain your choice, use the back of these forms for comments.
1. Your age: Sex:
The ages and genders of other household members:
2. What Church do you attend?
3. How often do you attend?
4. What other civic/religious organizations do you belong to?
5. How do you feel about the following statements?
a. "The Bible is literally true and it means just what it says."
always agree partly agree - disagree
b. "The whole civilized world seems headed for disaster."
always agree sometimes agree disagree
c."Even if things look bad, humans learn from their mistakes, and over time, people can make a better world."
always agree sometimes agree disagree
6. How many TV's do you have? (color)
7. Is your TV usually on during:
Breakfast? , Morning? Lunch?
Dinner? Prime Time? Late Night?
(B & W.) Cable?
8. Is there any kind of program
you refuse to watch or prohibit
your children from watching?
TELEVISION SURVEY, PAGE 2: TV DIARY
INSTRUCTIONS: If you find yourself watching TV at .7: 00 PM, Thursday evening August 12 answer the next-five questions while you watch:
1. Who Is watching with you?
2. What show are you watching?
3. While watching, did you switch channels? To what? How often?
3. What else is happening in the room besides TV viewing?
4. Is there anything that strikes you as especially controversial, important, surprising, upsetting or just plain odd about what you're watching?
INSTRUCTIONS: After viewing the program (or programs if you switched channels, answer these questions (include commercials if you want):
1. Did this story teach a lesson? What was the lesson about?
2. How do you feel about this lesson? Do you agree with it? Was it effectively presented?
3. What issues do you think stand out in this program?
ON THE BACK OF THIS SHEET:
write a paragraph or two describing what you saw. what it was
about, the main plots.... pretend you are describing the show
over the phone to a friend who didn't get to see it. If you saw
more than one show, you may need to attach an additional piece
Proceed to Bibliography